Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Lord is Near

In all reality, I love being here. After a fairly good night's sleep, I awoke a little after 7 (which is sleeping in for me), poured myself a glass of pina guayaba juice, crawled back into bed and now here I sit to update my blog.
It has been a roller coaster first 2 weeks. I arrived just days before the last outreach of the summer here. Students International hosts teams for 14 straight weeks in the summer time (usually about 50 people per outreach) and so I was able to jump in on the last one as part of a team. Seven incredible people from my home church in Cambria were here as well and that made my transition both wonderful and heartwrenching. I spent my days at the art site, where I will be working, observing, participating, praying. We helped Elizabeth (the woman of God who has been at the art site for the last 3 years) finish up an art class for kids that used Bible stories to teach them about God. All of their projects were based out of these stories and all of the children LOVED their time. On the last day of outreach, we held a litte art show for them-- invited their family members, had snacks... it was really a great time. We also took this art class 'mobile' into 3 of the schools SI operates here in Jarabacoa. Outside of spending time at the site, I was able to join the Cambria team on some excursions-- my favorite being a trip to two waterfalls. I unfortunately forgot my camera on most of the outings and so don't have glorious photos to post, but I promise you, the waterfalls here are gorgeous. It was soul-enriching to climb to the top of Salto Baiguate, lay on the rocks next to my close friend and listen to the powerful water plummeting down. I felt like an eagle soaring the high places with God.
It was an incredible two weeks.
These are all things I've done.
But how am I doing?
Yesterday, as I accompanied the Cambria team back to the airport to say goodbye to them and send them on their way, I felt like my heart was being ripped apart. I felt sick, vulnerable, scared and abandoned. I also felt comforted by God, peace, and an inner joy knowing that I was in the center of His Will. I cried many buckets of tears. I kissed them many times. And I left the airport feeling hollow inside. I am in a new country, surrounded by people I don't have long-term trusted relationships with, no church family and a very limited ability to speak or understand Spanish. I knew that as I hopped into the SI van to head back to Jarabacoa without my friends, that I needed to dive right into what God was doing here or else I wouldn't make it. Lowell, our field director, was the one driving and on the way to PriceSmart (a huge Costco type place that is in Santiago-- a city about an hour from here), I asked him point-blank: what is God saying? What is God doing? How is SI praying? Basically, God has called me here for this specific time and season and I want to know what season the leadership here believes we're in. He recounted to me a vision some visiting saints had shared with him about revival fires starting all over the place here. I do not have the patience to go into detail, but what it did was confirm to me that I am in the right place. My heart's cry for the last 5 years has been to be in the midst of revival. I do not know what this will look like, but what I do know is that all of the churches here are on the same page and that revival is already starting here in Jarabacoa. As I learn and discover more of what this is, I will share. For now, I am taking this week (we have a week off) to seek the Lord and pray. I want my heart, not just my body, to be positioned before Him so that when He moves, I am right there with Him. He is already moving and I am here with Him, but I want to be wholehearted. It isn't easy.
Gloria a Dios!
Last night I made pizzas with Arlene who is another single staff woman here. We had a great time of fellowship and it was neat to be able to cook for 13 guests. Everyone really enjoyed themselves (and the pizza) and it was nice for me to be able to spend some time with more of the leaders of SI and their families. Everyone here has been so encouraging and supportive and I am so thankful for that.
I am tired again, so I think I'll turn my fan back on and go back to sleep.
Love to you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.