Sunday, October 28, 2007

Rainy Sunday Afternoon

I feel delicious today.
Deliciously happy, that is. I was afraid that fall wouldn't feel like fall here simply because I live in the tropics. But thank God for rainy season . All these dark, cloudy, stormy days have been stirring up nostalgia in my heart and I have been filled with joy at the season. Yesterday, for example, was so cozy my heart is still overflowing! After going with my roommate to take one of our semester students to the clinic to get his blood tested (yes, he too contracted The Dengue, dunh, dunh, dunh) we took him back to where he is recuperating (which, for the time being, happens to be at the Entrekins'-- one of our SI families). Sissy and her girls Mary Emily and Isabelle were busy at work making Christmas ornaments out of these plastic things that you later melt with an iron. We were graciously invited to participate and were even offered hot chocolate. It was almost more than I could handle. I realize it's only October still, but I could not help the fact that "Just hear those sleigh bells ring-a-ling, ting-ting-ting-a-ling too!" escaped from my lips. Much to my delight, Sissy, the girls, Amy my roommate, Jim the Dengue dude, and Fernando, one of our Dominican doctors on staff all joined in without missing a beat and for once in my life I finally understood the true meaning of the word 'glee'.
And, I must confess, that after making dinner last night (pork chops, ratatoullie and garlic mashed potatoes), Amy and I put on Narnia and I made Snickerdoodles Dominican-style (with lime peel).
I am learning the beauty of retaining my culture while adopting a new one. I am learning that it's okay to speak some Spanglish. I am learning that the real reason I never thought rice was that great was because I didn't know how to make con-con (crispy rice that cooks too long at the bottom of the pot) and I could have only and ever learned that here. I don't have to start dressing Dominican-style in skin-tight clothes to be beautiful. Nor do I have to live with the constant pressure of having to be skinny, because that does not define beauty here. I can simply be myself, in the season I'm in, wearing my converse tennis shoes, gray hair growing out, baggy pants and still turn a head.
There is joy to be had in the imperfections, in the miscommunications, in the ambiguities, in the homesickness and the transitions. The joy comes not from circumstance, for this world is just shifting shadows. The joy comes in knowing, over and over again, that I am simply a pilgrim on earth, on my way to be married to the most amazing Man for all of eternity, having total security in my end, peace in His love and a daily walk with the Holy Spirit of God.
Passion. Inspiration. Life exploding onto canvas.
Love.

3 comments:

Dave and Beth Saavedra said...

ah, marvelous. there is a richness, indeed, to learning and living in a new culture and seeing that even when it can create new stresses it can also heal hurts left by the old culture. Keep the posts coming!
Hugs!

Bobbi Schmidt said...

Oh, my wise friend Amy!! I love reading your posts! Such encouragement! And I'm glad things are going better for you!! Are y'all planning a big Thanksgiving feast? We are here - complete with watching football afterwards!! Can't wait!
Love ya lots!
Bobbi

Bobbi Schmidt said...

Oh, my wise friend Amy!! I love reading your posts! Such encouragement! And I'm glad things are going better for you!! Are y'all planning a big Thanksgiving feast? We are here - complete with watching football afterwards!! Can't wait!
Love ya lots!
Bobbi