Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Step in the Right Direction

Today my good friend Arlene invited me to come over and make stepping stones with her.  Though I've stepped on my fair share of these garden adornments, I've never actually made one.  Arlene, being her awesome self, went around town and bought some gravel, some sand, some cement, and some diesel fuel (to line our containers so that the cement mix wouldn't stick).  We proportioned out the ingredients and hand mixed our own 'stuff', including a bit of blue dye to make the stones a little better looking.  Arlene sawed off the ends of a plastic bucket to use for our molds-- we hope they turn out okay.  These 'stones' will become a pathway leading up to our new social work site in Los Higos that Arlene leads.  The feet of women and youth on their way to knitting class or sewing class will pass over these little pieces of art.  Mine says: I am the Way.  Here are some photos:




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are amazing. I love stepping stones. When I get older and have time for a garden, I want to have stepping stones. I know who to go to for some stepping stone making skills.

love you amy.