Thursday, January 10, 2008

Back

It was a long travel day. But let me just plug Jet Blue for a moment. Posh leather seats, enough leg room to CROSS MY LEGS, personal TV and lots of snacks. I had empty seats next to me all the way and so I stretched out. However sleep evaded me. I arrived in Santiago mid-morning. It was hot and humid-- quite the transition from 43 degrees in LA and New York. I arrived home and was greeted by our brutish Dobermans, who were covered in ticks, and also by several cockroaches. I was not greeted by our dear kitty Shiloh. He got out while we were gone and our brutish Dobermans killed the little guy. Sniff. Such is nature.
I fell into bed almost immediately after arriving,rested a bit and then headed off to have a delicious home-cooked soup with my friend Arlene. Then there was staff Bible Study. It was wonderful to see everyone again, to be welcomed home with strong hugs. But it felt weird. Driving, buying milk at the store, listening to voices singing praise to the Lord in Spanish, all so familiar, yet I felt lost. Not sleeping for a really long time had an affect, but my heart, in many ways, had already started reattaching to American life.
Today, I slept a good portion of the day and really prayed through the transition sadness.
A good friend came at just the right time and I was able to pour out my heart to her. She read me the lyrics of a Spanish worship song and also some exerpts from a book written by Graham Cooke. The theme was about remaining in the hidden place with God, letting yourself be formed by the Master Craftsman, allowing His hammer blows and refining fire purify you so that you may shine and endure even when it seems he is not 'moving' or speaking. I basically needed to be reminded again that "I am crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me."
Leaving behind family, friends, church and the ease of ministering in my own language is hard to bear, but if I follow Christ to the point of death, He will resurrect something holy and wonderful because He is good.
I am excited to be here. I know God has great things and I am ready to jump in wholeheartedly.
Keep going.
If there is anything I would want to encourage any believer with, it is KEEP GOING. Christ is faithful, He is good and His reward is with Him.
Here's to a new year looking toward the unfolding plans of God in each of our lives as we pursue Him.

2 comments:

Dave and Beth Saavedra said...

Oh, big hugs to you! Our first trip back will be this June and I already know that there will need to be lots of prayer for my heart not to totally reattach, as you say. Nonetheless, I am looking forward to it immensely. And to eating good cheese - the stuff here is pretty funky, too. Most smells like old socks...

Anonymous said...

proud of you. love you.