Saturday, January 19, 2008

In Love

Perhaps it is the weather or the fact I got to sleep in on my most amazing new mattress. It could also be that Coke Light was finally restocked in the fridge at Supermercado Jarabacoa or that Oliver, our prodigy art student showed up the other day filled with joy, awe and wonder by his 50-piece set of colored pens that he received for Christmas and his relief that, finally, the art school was back open and he could continue learning how to draw fruit.
It could be that God my Father just feels like pouring out his abundant, radiant, beautiful face on me...
but whatever it is, I am in love.
There have been times in the last 5 months that have been good, where warm feelings have sprung up and filled me, but for the large part, I have felt really dry, spiritually, as I've struggled to understand, accept and integrate into this new culture.
I dunno (and I probably never will) why our spiritual lives move in seasons and while I appreciate every season and what it does for me, this season is my favorite.
"See ! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land. The fig tree forms its early fruit; and the blossoming vines spread their fragrance. Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, come with me." Song of Songs 2:11-13
How can I resist such a call? When 'deep calls out to deep' there is nothing one can do but surrender to it. It is times like these, when circumstances haven't changed and there is no possible explanation for why all of a sudden I should be feeling so overwhelmingly enamored with life, that I fall in deeper awe and love with the Lord. It is times like these that keep me going in drought, that keep my soul waiting for Him, longing for him.
My heart is filled with singing. I laughed at the traffic jam in the street today. I thought birds looked especially bright and colorful as I stared out the window and my neighbor's car alarm which always goes off at random hours and usually makes me want to throw and break things filled me with delight today.
I can't explain it.
I'm just in love.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Praise the Lord for your faithfulness. May the God of hope fill you with Joy&Peace.
LZ
let's Skype soon

Bobbi Schmidt said...

Hey, Amy! I was so glad to read your post and to hear you so positive and in love with life! I know its difficult coming back after being home in the States. I just got back as well and its so weird to be back but awesome at the same time! I'm sorry I haven't kept in touch very well, but I've loved reading all your blog entries! Take care, love you! Oh, and could we skype sometime? My acct name is "bobbi381".....

Dave and Beth Saavedra said...

Yay! I'm so glad that you are experiencing being the Beloved so tangibly! And that S of S verse is so amazing. Love, love, love it!