Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Old Man is Snoring


Rain, rain go away...
It's officially hurricane season. I think we've got some of Ike raining down on us, or then again, it could just be a random tropical storm. It will be raining almost constantly until January. Which brings me to avocados.
Now, avocados have nothing to do with the rain, it's just that I've been meaning to write about avocados for a while now, but just as I sat down to finally do it, I thought I might mention the fact that it's raining cats and dogs. Some dogs like to eat avocados. Back to the point...
Last year when I moved into this house, my roommate Amy, upon giving me a tour of our yard, pointed out the various fruit trees. "This one has some kind of fruit, I'm not exactly sure what kind it is yet; this one grows these big spiky-skinned things; this is an avocado tree that doesn't produce any fruit; this one--- wait a minute, did she say AVOCADO??? Those little green things that are traded for gold in California? Those precious little fruits that, when cut open, scooped out, mashed and mixed with other things makes one of the best foods ever invented by man, GUACAMOLE??? And it's growing in MY back yard!! Yum, oh yuminess, oh, sweet green goo of yumness. I just could not, would not tolerate the fact that she said this tree did not produce. It couldn't be! God did not make avocado trees to just stand there and torment me with promises of goodness. Later on that month, unbeknownst to my roomie, I went outside, laid hands on the trunk and prayed for God to bring forth fruit. "God, I'm not asking for a scorpion! I'm asking for avos and you promise in your word that if I ask anything in Jesus' name, you will give it! Bring forth fruit!" I did something similar a few months later, thinking about that parable where a king comes to eat fruit off a tree and it doesn't have any and then orders the gardner to chop it down and make room for fruit trees that work and the gardner makes him a deal: give it one more year. If it doesn't produce fruit at the end, I'll chop it. So, I prayed that prayer, asking God to give it another year to produce fruit. I also prayed the prayer in relation to Jarabacoa, proclaiming God's ability to form fruit out of death. Then I forgot all about it.
Sometime during the beginning of summer, I got a word from the Lord about the next season I'm about to enter: Lift up your eyes and see! The fields are white with harvest!
I started contending in prayer for that harvest, praying that our eyes, as workers here, would indeed look UP and see what God has prepared and not to let the enemy come and steal any part of it. Shortly after, as I was hanging out my laundry to dry on a nice sunny Sunday morning, I lifted up my eyes and, lo and behold, there were avocados growing on that tree!!! I am not kidding you. And not just one or two, like two or TEN! Amy and I danced a joyful jig to the Lord and have been waiting and waiting for them to ripen. We just picked about 6 of them yesterday, which should be ready to eat sometime this week.
God promised that if we have even the faith of a mustard seed, we could do great things. God cares about the harvest of souls that, to us, appear dead and worth chopping down. He wants us to press in, to have faith and to exercise that faith in praying His promises and awaiting the fruit that will come forth from those faithful prayers. He even cares that I love avocados so much.
Pray to God for the 'impossible', believing in His power and desire to do so, and watch Him bring it about.
We serve a living God.
Come on down and share in God's harvest with me!!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and i love amy babb.

Anonymous said...

How great, Amy. I understand the love of those sweet little green things. I'd trade gold for them, if I had any. Enjoy them all and praise God for his faithfulness. I'll be praying for a car.