Saturday, April 25, 2009

Things that make you laugh AFTER the fact

"I have two letters for you: D...R..."

This comment made by my boss a while back was immediately followed by an eruption of laughter.  The laughter erupted from us Americans.  This comment has since become our signature statement whenever something transpires here in the DR-- things that make you go 'hmmm'.  
I had one of those somethings happen just yesterday.
After a 3-day staff retreat where God just blew us open, I dragged my very tired body to work in the morning.  Francisco I don't think even made it out of bed because his bright face never showed up.  Anyway, after sitting there at the school for a bit, I promptly fell asleep.  This never happens to me.  Never.  I can't even fall asleep on airplanes-- and often it takes hours for me to pass out in my own bed!  I was that wiped out.  I somehow jerked myself awake in time to greet a student who dropped by to show me some drawings she had been doing.  After she left, I felt the call of the sandman lulling me back to sleep and I thought-- NO! I must be productive!  I decided it would be a good time to go make photocopies I had put off for too long.  So, I gathered all the materials, locked up the school, hopped in my jeep and drove around town in circles for a good 15 minutes.  The town was packed and there was nowhere to park.  Nowhere.  At this point I had developed a good sized headache and decided it might be best if I just went home and finished sleeping.  On the way, I saw a little photocopy shop I'd never seen before and THERE WAS PARKING OUT FRONT!  I grabbed my books, other sheets of paper and my purse and sauntered into the little store.  The minute I walked in, the girl from behind the counter asked me what I needed.  I said I needed her to photocopy some stuff for me.  *This is one of the reasons I put off getting copies for so long-- you can't just do it yourself and the majority of the time your copies come out looking terrible (not good for an art school)*
She just looked at me and said, "You have to go to the other photocopy place.  We don't have any paper."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!
This wasn't so funny at the time.
I just smiled and thought, "Of course you don't have paper.  What was I thinking?"
Instead of driving circles around town again in search of a copy shop who actually HAS paper, I decided to stick with the original plan and just go home and sleep.
I have two letters for you...

No comments: