Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ya, Terminé! I'm Finished!

It's only the minimum, but I finally finished reading the very last book for my discipleship class at Fraternidad Cristiana Amor a Quisqueya!!  We still have about a month left of classes to attend, but yesterday evening I polished off the very last book.  Discipleship class at my church here is a 10 month commitment-- we meet every Saturday evening from 5-7 and receive great teaching from our pastor, Popín.  Within the first 10 weeks of class we are required to read the entire Bible, starting in Matthew and ending with Malachi.  The rest of our 'spare' time is spent reading a minimum of 12 assigned books the pastor has read and picked out for us.  Then we write reports on each one.  For the most part, I really liked his selection, though I was realizing the other day that every single book was written by a man.  I don't believe this was intentional, just interesting. The principles of discipleship aren't sex-related, though I do enjoy hearing a woman's perspective, too.
Anyway, here is a list of the books I had to read and I put an asterisk next to my faves:

  1. Causa de una Tirania (this is a book in Spanish about the Dominican dictator Trujillo)
  2. Stop Flirting with the Church and Fall in Love with the Family of God-- Joshua Harris
  3. A Tale of Three Kings-- Gene Edwards
  4. El Martir de Las Catacumbas (only available in Spanish and the author didn't have his name on the book)
  5. The Heavenly Man-- Brother Yun *
  6. Spiritual Warfare-- Dean Sherman *
  7. El Clamor en el Barrio-- Freddie García
  8. Not Even a Hint-- Joshua Harris
  9. Fear of the Lord-- John Bevere *
  10. Undercover-- John Bevere *
  11. The Prayer of Jesus-- (can't remember the author's name, but it was my least favorite)
  12. The Twelve Transgressions-- Sergio Scataglini *
After reading all these books and taking this class, the overall resounding theme is: I am not my own.  It has been both hard and good to have the Light shine on weak and sinful areas of my character these last 10 months. It has been both frustrating and a relief to know that these areas do not just 'go away' and that I will continually have to go to the Cross with them.  I both hated and loved acknowledging that I, truly, can't do life on my own-- I literally need the Spirit of God to transform me and enable me to do the things my flesh doesn't want to do.  I have discovered just how much I cling to 'religion' (doing godly things without God-- spirit of independence) and reject 'relationship' (humble surrendering to the One who can actually do godly things because He IS God).  Sanctification is a fiery process that I both desire and want to run from.  But as Paul exhorts in 1 Thessalonians 5:19: "Do not put out the Spirit's fire;"  and 4 verses later, "May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through.  May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it." !!!!
I am so thankful for God's faithfulness to us, the promise that he will do it as we continue to believe in and walk in Christ.  I can't make myself blameless, I can't be perfect, but Christ in me, the hope of glory, CAN and WANTS to as long as I keep myself yoked to Him with a broken and contrite spirit, desiring communion.
Being a disciple is being broken at the feet of Jesus.

2 comments:

Dave and Beth Saavedra said...

I'd like to read some of those books, too. Way to go for doing Spanish language ones, too - that's always a huge challenge for me.
P.S.
LOVE your blog banner - so beautiful! Is it one of your paintings?

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check those out. Although, I'm the type that already has so much going on that I never get a chance to read, so maybe one day I'll be able to read at least one of the books on the list. :)