Friday, January 8, 2010

Snapshot

In prayer last week, I got a snapshot impression of burgundy painted walls, telescope lights and a glass bakery case. A coffee shop? Probably. A job, perhaps? Maybe. Days later, on a walk downtown with my fantastic friend and housemate Christine, I mentioned the image I'd gotten.
"I think I'm supposed to look for work in a coffee shop with burgundy painted walls and telescope lights."
"Okay, let's look for it."

I love people who believe God like I do.

We were actually walking around looking for good places for her to put in an application, but every time we passed by a Starbucks, a Peets, an Ink!, we peeked through the windows at the wall color. Lots of sage green. One with bright red and white. No burgundy. I let it go.

Days later I was having breakfast with my incredibly, artistically- talented friend Cami. I mentioned the prayer impression I'd gotten to her. She smiled and said something like, "Well, God can do anything!" Ah, how true. We quickly moved onto other more fascinating subjects and then it was time to do more hanging out elsewhere. She suggested the Tattered Cover bookstore . I didn't know that the Tattered Cover had a bookstore in Highlands Ranch where she lived-- about a half hour drive from where I live in Denver. The Tattered Cover is legendary here. It's one of Denver's must-sees. I was up for a peruse.

I was busy talking about something probably unimportant when we walked through the front door, so I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings much, only to notice that Cami kept walking toward this little cafe section and I kept wondering why since we'd downed more coffee than either of us needed at the breakfast place. Then, she stopped and just stood there, looking forward. It took me a bit and then I shut up and looked ahead, too. Well, wouldn't you know it. Burgundy walls. Telescope lights. Glass bakery case.

She nudged me forward. Feeling a little foolish, I walked up to the counter and addressed the down-to-earth-looking woman standing behind it.
"I just have a question. Do the other Tattered Covers in Denver have coffee shops in them as well?"
"Yes they do."
"And, are they owned by Tattered Cover or are they a separate entity?"
"Are you looking for a job?"
"Actually, yes, yes I am."
"Stay right here."

I stood right there and shot Cami a quizzical look. She shot one back and pantomimed that she'd be reading some magazines in one of the overstuffed chairs in the corner. Shortly after, a thin, grey, curly-headed man strolled out from behind an 'employees only' type door.
"You looking for a job?"
"Actually, yes, yes I am."
"What area do you want to work? Downtown? Colfax? Here?"
"No, either downtown or Colfax-- I live in Lodo, so those are closer."
"Oh good, 'cause we're hiring for the Lodo store and are closing out applications today. You have time to fill out an app?"
"Um, yep."

It took me a while to fill it all out. They ask a lot of interesting questions like: what 3 sections of the bookstore would you be found in? (religion, travel, art) and, what makes a great coffee shop? (friendly, helpful staff; consistency and quality of beverage and food; cleanliness; good music; comfy places to sit...)

I completed it with gusto and went to hand it back to Wayne who then asked if he could give me a preliminary interview. I had to get through Wayne first. He liked me. He passed along my app to personnel. They liked my app. I got a call from Chuck. I had an interview with him and Jackie this morning. I liked them.

I'll let you know if they liked me back in my next inspiring blog...

By the way, thanks to 'anonymous' for leaving me that encouraging note on my last entry. It's bugging me that I don't know who you are. Annoying. Intriguing...

1 comment:

Dee Brill said...

God is wonderful, great and full of surprises. thanks for sharing your adventure.